Full Day Absences
Failure to contact the Attendance Office before 9:00 p.m. the day of the student's absence will result in an unexcused absence and the student will be considered truant.
In order for a full day absence to be considered excused, the student’s parent/guardian is required to make a telephone call to the Attendance Office before 9:00 p.m. on each day of the absence. Voice-mail is available to leave messages. Guardians will be asked to supply the following information:
- Student’s name;
- ID number;
- Date(s) of absence(s);
- Reason for absence.
Partial Day Absences
For the safety of all students, advance notice from or contact with a parent/guardian is required to excuse any absence related to an early dismissal or late arrival. The phone number for the Attendance Office is 708-434-3104.
- Parents/guardians are to call the Attendance Office in advance when the need for an early dismissal is anticipated. The call must be made by the end of the first period of missed class. When a student is excused to leave school early, he/she must report to the Attendance Office (Room 104) to receive an authorized early dismissal pass. This early dismissal pass must be presented to Safety and Support when leaving the building.
- Students who return to class before the end of the day must report to the Attendance Office when re-entering the building. The Attendance Office will supply students with an admit pass to their next class.
- Students who need to leave school due to illness or injury may be excused only by the OPRFHS Health Service Office/Nurse. The nurse will contact a parent/guardian to authorize the early dismissal. For safety reasons, students authorized by the school nurse to go home on their own are to call the Health Service Office when they arrive.
- Students who need to leave school due to an emergency (not illness or injury) may be excused only by their Dean, Counselor, or the Attendance Office.
- Absences for students who leave school without proper authorization as outlined above will be unexcused. Parent/guardian calls after a student leaves school without following the above procedures will not excuse the absence(s) and will be subject to school consequences for unexcused absences.
Students are allowed full make-up privileges for excused absences:
- Illness and/or doctor’s appointments
- Death in the immediate family
- Family emergency
- Pre-arranged absence
- Observance of a religious holiday
- School-sponsored field trips
- Nurse appointments for an entire period
- Guidance appointments
- Administrative reasons
- The student must obtain a pre-arranged Absence Form from the Attendance Office (Room 104).
- The form must be signed by all of the student’s teachers.
- The form must be taken home, read, and signed by the student’s parent.
- The form must be signed by the student’s Counselor.
- The form must be returned to the Attendance Office prior to the absence.
- An appeal form must be obtained from the Attendance Office.
- Appeal forms will be accepted at any point in the semester all the way until three days after the end of the respective grading period, which would occur during final exam week for that semester. No appeal forms will be accepted after this time. This form must be returned to the Attendance Office only.
- An appeal meeting will be held involving input from the student, parent/guardian, deans of students, Counselor, and teacher.
- The parent will be notified of the final decision following the attendance appeal meeting. If the appeal is granted, the N grade will be changed to the grade the student earned in the class.