Full Day Absences
Failure to contact the Attendance Office before 9:00 p.m. the day of the student's absence will result in an unexcused absence and the student will be considered truant.
In order for a full day absence to be considered excused, the student’s parent/guardian is required to make a telephone call to the Attendance Office before 9:00 p.m. on each day of the absence. Voice-mail is available to leave messages. Guardians will be asked to supply the following information:
- Student’s name;
- ID number;
- Date(s) of absence(s);
- Reason for absence.
Partial Day Absences
For the safety of all students, advance notice from or contact with a parent/guardian is required to excuse any absence related to an early dismissal or late arrival. The phone number for the Attendance Office is 708-434-3104.
- Parents/guardians are to call the Attendance Office in advance when the need for an early dismissal is anticipated. The call must be made by the end of the first period of missed class. When a student is excused to leave school early, he/she must report to the Attendance Office (Room 104) to receive an authorized early dismissal pass. This early dismissal pass must be presented to Safety and Support when leaving the building.
- Students who return to class before the end of the day must report to the Attendance Office when re-entering the building. The Attendance Office will supply students with an admit pass to their next class.
- Students who need to leave school due to illness or injury may be excused only by the OPRFHS Health Service Office/Nurse. The nurse will contact a parent/guardian to authorize the early dismissal. For safety reasons, students authorized by the school nurse to go home on their own are to call the Health Service Office when they arrive.
- Students who need to leave school due to an emergency (not illness or injury) may be excused only by their Dean, Counselor, or the Attendance Office.
- Absences for students who leave school without proper authorization as outlined above will be unexcused. Parent/guardian calls after a student leaves school without following the above procedures will not excuse the absence(s) and will be subject to school consequences for unexcused absences.
Students are allowed full make-up privileges for excused absences:
- Illness and/or doctor’s appointments
- Death in the immediate family
- Family emergency
- Pre-arranged absence
- Observance of a religious holiday
- School-sponsored field trips
- Nurse appointments for an entire period
- Guidance appointments
- Administrative reasons
Extended Pre-Arranged Absences
Absences for an extended period such as for medical purposes, college visits, and civic and religious programs must be arranged in advance. Whenever possible, activities should be planned during vacation periods. The student has the responsibility for making prior arrangements with his or her teachers to make-up homework and tests.
- The student must obtain a pre-arranged Absence Form from the Attendance Office (Room 104).
- The form must be signed by all of the student’s teachers.
- The form must be taken home, read, and signed by the student’s parent.
- The form must be signed by the student’s Counselor.
- The form must be returned to the Attendance Office prior to the absence.
Failure to contact the Attendance Office before 9:00 p.m. will result in an unexcused absence and the student will be considered truant. In addition, any absence not covered by the reasons listed for excused absences will be considered unexcused. A tardy for more than 10 minutes will be considered unexcused. Single-period absences will only be excused if they are pre-arranged through the Attendance Office. Oak Park and River Forest High School does not recognize or condone “ditch days.” Truancy is a Class II infraction as described in the Code of Conduct. The Deans handle all attendance related infractions.
Parent or Guardian Notification of Unexcused Absences
Unexcused student absences will be reported to the parent or guardian via the automated calling system. Calls will be made to the home phone number unless the parent/guardian requests a secondary number be contacted. It is extremely important that the parent/guardian promptly notify the school when there is a change in phone numbers.
The "NP or NF" Grade
NP- No credit - withdrawn from class for attendance reasons- passing
NF- No credit - withdrawn from class for attendance reasons- failing.
Four (4) unexcused absences during any semester will result in an “NP” or “NF” grade and the student may be removed from the class unless a recommendation is made by the teacher for the student to continue in class because of extenuating circumstances. “NP” or “NF” grades receive no credit toward completion of graduation requirements.
Twelve (12) total absences, excused or unexcused, may result in the student receiving a NP or NF grade. If a student is dropped from a class due to attendance, the grade will be documented on the student’s report card as a (NP) withdrawn for attendance-passing or an “NF” withdrawn for attendance- failing. The cumulative number of total absences will appear on the student’s progress reports and grade reports.
Unexcused Absence Appeals
In cases where additional information may have an effect on unexcused absences, an appeal may be made. The student will remain in class during the appeal process.
- An appeal form must be obtained from the Attendance Office.
- This form must be returned to the Attendance Office within three (3) school days after receiving notice that the student will receive an “N” grade.
- The parent will be notified of the appeal date and time.
- The parent will be notified of the final decision following the attendance appeal hearing.