MISSION: The mission of the English Division of Oak Park and River Forest High School is to provide a nurturing, challenging, and equitable learning experience to ensure that all students develop into critical, creative, and empathetic readers, writers, speakers, and thinkers.
- read literature with insight and passion and thereby develop empathy, imagination, and facility with language;
- with dexterity and precision for various purposes and audiences;
- employ critical thinking, speaking, reading, and digital literacy skills as responsible, effective agents in the world;
- develop creativity and personal voice;
- cultivate and maintain a rich interior intellectual and emotional world;
- recognize, analyze, and question socially constructed roles including race, class, gender, and sexual orientation;
- actively listen to multiple perspectives with compassion and a commitment to justice.
English classrooms where
- students experience an interdependent learning community in which they work collaboratively with classmates and teachers to make meaning;
- the classroom culture is process-oriented and growth-minded and supports multi-modal learning;
- the demographic makeup of the students is representative of the school as a whole and achievement is not racially predictable;
- choices of texts reflect awareness of the multiple identities and needs of students;
- both traditional and emerging technologies facilitate student engagement and expression;
- reading and a love of literature and language are cultivated and intrinsically valued.
An English Division that
- collaborates as a nurturing community of teachers, scholars, and learners committed to best practice and reflection;
- supports ongoing professional growth and participates in the broader educational arena;
- designs and maintains a purposefully aligned course sequence and curriculum that meets the needs of all students and ensures consistent outcomes within a grade level and across grade levels;
- works intentionally to eliminate systemic barriers and inhibitors to success and growth.