What is a Career Pathway?
According to the Illinois State Board of Education, Career Pathways are defined as “a combination of rigorous and high-quality education, training, and other services that aligns both vertically and horizontally across Secondary Education, Adult Education, Workforce Training and Development, Career and Technical Education, and Post-secondary Education systems, pathways, and programs.”
What does this look like at OPRF High School?
Students will receive the skills and knowledge, both academic and technical, necessary to pursue a full range of career opportunities within a pathway— ranging from entry level to management, and including technical and professional career specialties.
We will accomplish this through:
- Clearly defined Career Pathways beginning in 8th grade resulting in intentional program completion and thoughtful post-high school planning for all students.
- Increased enrollment and opportunities for dual credit, both in-house and at Triton College, Concordia University, and other post-high school institutions.
- Increased work-based experiences through volunteer opportunities, internships/micro-internships, job shadowing, and paid employment.
Current Pathways Available at OPRFHS
Automotive/Automotive Mechanic/Automotive Technician
Barbering- Erskine Reeve's Barber Academy
Cooking and Culinary
Cosmetology- Ms. Robert's Beauty Academy
Pathways to Teaching (Concordia Unversity Chicago)
Radio and Television Broadcasting Technology/Technician
Web Page, Digital/Multimedia and Information Resource Design
Potential Future Pathways
These are the pathways we hope to offer in the near future.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT Paramedic)
Announcements & Opportunities
Attention Seniors: The Country Experience at the Amstutz Family Farm Camp is seeking summer counselors! For more information and to apply, click HERE!
- Attention Seniors: if you are interested in a career in General Construction, the George Vest Jr. Carpenter Training Center of Elk Grove will be accepting applications beginning April 26th. Find details and information on how to apply click HERE !
- Kids Unlimited Therapy Services, LLC is looking for 1-2 part time assistants (incoming sophomore-senior) for summer/school year employment. For more details click HERE!
- Joliet Junior College offers one of only seven national programs in Orthodics & Prosthetics Technology and were showcased on NBC for their outstanding program: JJC on NBC!
- Brookfield Zoo is hiring! Details and application can be found HERE
- Fairgrounds Coffee and Tea is hiring baristas! Close to school and part-time work available. Details and application can be found HERE
- Attention Seniors: If you are 18 and interested in a paid ($15/hr) internship opportunity, ComEd has partnered with CLEAResult's Strategic Energy Management to offer a Retail Pilot program. Please click HERE for more details and to apply. If interested, please indicate your studies at OPRFHS in the "resume" section of the application.
- Triton College will host Virtual Visitation Days throughout second semester!
- Anti-Cruelty Society accepting applications HERE for Veterinary Mentoring Program. June,13 2021 Deadline!