Dear OPRF High School Students, Staff, and Families,
Given the global concerns about coronavirus, we want to share with you information that the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has published for schools throughout the state.
The good news is that currently the health risk to the general public from coronavirus remains low, not just in Illinois but throughout the United States. Currently, the IDPH says it recommends schools hold classes and events as usual, and follow their routine cleaning and disinfecting procedures; no special measures are necessary.
It also says that the best way to protect against coronavirus is by taking the same everyday precautions against getting sick in general. These include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
To see the complete recommendations to schools from IDPH, please click here. We will continue to closely monitor recommendations regarding coronavirus and will update you should there be any significant changes in recommendations for schools. Thank you for your support in helping to keep our school community healthy.
Dr. Joylynn Pruitt-Adams